The Python programming environment is a relatively easy to use tool that has gained considerable acceptance and use in astronomical data processing. We will use Python on an experimental basis to cover some basic work for SHIPs work.
Python distribution to use
Based on our requirements of Windows+MacOS+Linux, the choice is Anaconda python.
Some, but not all, operations for which we will use Python for:
- Read an APT output table file.
- Write a DS9 region file.
- Read SHIPs ASCII format data table.
- Write SHIPs ASCII format data table.
- Merge photometry tables.
- Create 2-dimensional plots of various types: scatter plots, line plots, histograms. These plots may have multiple data sets on them.
- Save plots to a JPG, PNG or similar graphic format file.